Monday, July 8, 2013

BAKED EGGPLANT CHIPS

I hate to waste food!  I literally make questionable food choices at least once a week, meaning I'll eat something that's probably past it's shelf life, but most likely won't make me sick, just because I don't want to see it go to waste.  Don't try this at home, but I have to openly admit that this happens on the regular...

I bring this up because the Baked Eggplant Chips were a direct result of not wanting to waste the beautiful eggplants that I had snagged at Spring Brook Farm, and at the same time, I had absolutely nothing to go with the burgers that I was making for dinner.  My husband is a HUGE fan of chips, or anything crunchy, especially with burgers and sandwiches, so I wanted to make something that was chip-like in consistency to satiate that desire.  Eating well is all about substituting healthy foods in place of those that you know are laden with fat and calories.  There is always another option, you just have to get creative and find it.

Ingredients:

- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Various seasonings (salt, pepper, smoked paprika, Italian blend, etc)



Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees

1. Whisk egg whites in a container separate from the bread crumbs.
2. Mix Panko with desired herbs. (It really depends on what herbs you like, dried or fresh, and what you are eating the chips with).
3. Dip each eggplant slice into the egg whites, and then immediately into the bread crumbs, coating each side generously. Place each slice onto a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray.
4. Cook for 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the slices, and the amount on the tray.  You should see the Panko brown slightly, but not burn.
5. Remove from oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes before serving.

They may not be potato chips, or french fries, but they are much healthier, make you feel like you're eating something similar, and are darn tasty!  If you like a sauce with your chips, try mixing together a little Dijon mustard and Non-fat Greek Yogurt (1 to 2 ratio) with some smoked paprika or black pepper.  It will make you feel like you're indulging when you're really just upping your veggie and protein intake!  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment