Monday, July 8, 2013

FROZEN GREEK YOGURT BLUEBERRY POPS

I'MMMM BAAACCKKK!!!  I have been missing for such a lengthy amount of time because I took on Personal Training almost full-time, and I'm learning how to adjust my schedule accordingly.  Well, that and I've taken on the third job of the summer: working on my epic tan which requires true dedication and a lot of SPF reapplying.  It's not easy...it's really not...

So, with summer in full force, and what is now the THIRD week of ridiculous humidity and heat, I think it's important to post something a little more refreshing, and easy to make, that is still healthy and low-fat.  I found this recipe while flipping through Real Simple Magazine by the pool (I told you I've been working hard), and was totally pumped to see how simple and easy it could be to make frozen pops with Greek yogurt.  I have seen suggestions and advertisements for many different brands of these in several different health magazines, but I have an issue with spending that much money, and usually there's some sort of preservative in order to keep the product through shipping, and so I have stayed away from purchasing them.   This recipe is stupid easy, tastes amazing, and can be modified with any fruit that you prefer, so mix it up and try different flavors and sweeteners!!!






Ingredients:

- 1 cup Non-fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 1/2 cup of Blueberries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries,etc.)
- 2 tbsp. Honey (agave nectar, maple syrup)








Directions:
1. In one bowl whisk the Greek yogurt and 1 tbsp. of honey.
2. In a separate bowl mash the blueberries and the remaining 1 tbsp. of honey.
3. In a 8-section pop tray layer yogurt, then fruit, and repeat until each each pop is full.
4. Take a toothpick or skewer and mix the Greek yogurt and fruit together to give it a swirled effect.
5. Freeze for at least 3 hours, or up to 3 days.

A word to the wise when removing your pops from the tray.  If you aren't eating them all at once, you should run warm water around the single pop you want to remove, and it will pop right out.  I originally tried to let them sit out to defrost a little, but then the inside got too warm as well, and the stick kept coming out.  Also, if you don't have a pop tray, you can always use small cups and pop sticks to make them.  High protein, low-fat, TOTALLY amazing and delicious!  




No comments:

Post a Comment