Saturday, November 17, 2012

Healthy and Easy Shrimp Pasta

Shrimp and Asparagus Buckwheat Pasta

I know, I know, you're asking yourself where I've been.  OK, maybe not, but the truth is ever since I decided to get AFAA Personal Trainer certified, everything else in my life came to a stand still.  In life, we must zero in on our goals, define our steps of action to achieve them, and keep our eye on the prize.  Now, with that out of the way, I have re-dedicated myself to some things that have been pushed aside, my food blog being one of them.  So, let's get going!

I have said it before and I'll say it again: I WILL NEVER STOP EATING PASTA!!!  Alright, perhaps that was more of a shouting, but I'm Italian, and I only have one volume.  The reality is, people who say you shouldn't eat carbs, or that they avoid pasta at all cost, are just eating the wrong carbs or the wrong pasta.  My all time favorite pastas to use are Organic Soba noodles.  Often found in the Asian isle in your grocery store, Soba noodles are made with buckwheat, are extremely thin, and cook in about 4 minutes.  Talk about healthy and easy!  They even come in three individual bundles so you can choose your serving size!

Shrimp and Asparagus Buckwheat Pasta



2 Pre-portioned bundles of Soba noodles
1/2 lb. Medium Shrimp Cooked, de-veined
8 Stalks Asparagus, ends removed
2 Vine Ripe Tomatoes, diced
3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1/2 c. Sliced Mushrooms
1 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbs. Grated Parmesan Cheese







1. Prepare Soba noodles to package directions.
2. Cut asparagus stalks into three even pieces, at a bias (at an angle).
3.  Heat olive oil on medium in a saute pan, and add asparagus.  Cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
4.  Add the mushrooms and saute for two minutes.
5.  Add tomatoes and garlic, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.  
6.  Add the shrimp (I take the tails off of mine because I can't stand working for my food once it's placed in front of me), and the drained Soba noodles, and heat through.  
7.  Top each potion with a small amount of Parmesan cheese.  

I break this amount of pasta into four different servings.  I'm not huge on calorie counting so I apologize to anyone who wants to know calories, carbs, proteins, etc.  I eat whole foods, control potion sizes and workout like a maniac.  Depending on how my metabolism feels that day, I may eat more or less.  

What I LOVE about this recipe is how quickly it all comes together.  I buy pre-cooked shrimp, boil my pasta while I'm chopping everything else, toss ingredients in while I'm waiting for my pasta to be done, and by the time it's drained, I'm throwing my last couple of ingredients in, and heating the whole dish through.  Super easy, super healthy!  Enjoy!

Remember, pasta is good.  People who tell you that is not, are bad! <3 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, keep posting! I know it's been a while but I like your blog and I included it in my "Sharing Sunday" list of great nutrition blogs: http://daddygonnabeastup.blogspot.com/2013/01/awesome-nutrition-blogs.html

    ReplyDelete