Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Evolution of Eating Clean: Trying New Things

Lamb Porterhouse with Broccoli and Parsnip Puree

Phew, as I type I am wiping the sweat from my brow from all the tasks I have taken on in my life.  Developing as a person is some serious work, and man have I taken on the beast.  In addition to starting my Beachbody business and really focusing on that, I've also been trying to get my own Personal Training Business set up with my Facebook page, Maria's Super Fit Training, and also managing my other Fitness Blog at superfitmaria.blogspot.com.  As you can imagine, with all that going on, I haven't had too much time to try out new recipes, and make too much exciting stuff.

However, in my ever growing need to refine my diet, and find what works for my husband and I, I have taken on the new task of trying to eat for our blood type.  There are so many controversial views of this idea, (some scientists will argue that the idea is all based in theory, while those who have done it, will tell you it's changed their lives), but I am excited to try something new, and look at every avenue of nutrition that helps my body function at a higher level.

That being said, I've focused a lot more on meats, vegetables and other whole foods, as opposed to making a lot of fancy dishes and sauces. One meat that is considered 'Highly Beneficial' for both my, and my husband's, blood type is Lamb.  I have forever stated that lamb is really not on my favorite meats list, but there aren't many meats that align as highly beneficial for us both, so I jumped in feet first and took on the challenge.  To my surprise, I was delighted!

I purchased a back of Lamb Porterhouses - opened my fridge, mulled around the idea of what I wanted with it, and settled on steamed broccoli, and parsnip puree. YUM, YUM, YUM!!!


Ingredients:

1 pkg Lam Porterhouse
1 head of Broccoli
1 pkg of Parsnips (or five medium total)
2 tbsp. Skim Milk
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
Salt
Smoked Paprika
Red Pepper Flakes
Garlic Powder
Pam




Directions:

1. Peel, clean, and cut the parsnips into equal size.  Steam parsnips with 2 tbsp. of Skim milk, and lightly season with salt, smoked paprika, and garlic powder.  Remove from heat when the parsnips are soft enough to pierce with a fork, and move into a food processor or blender.  Puree until smooth, slowly adding olive oil until you get the desired consistency.

2.  At the same time, cut and clean the broccoli  and steam with salt, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes until pierced with a fork, but not mushy.

3. Prepare the Lamb by seasoning with salt, garlic powder, and smoked paprika, and placing in a cast iron pan (if available, if not a regular saute pan is fine) that is lightly sprayed with Pam.  Lamb tastes it's best when it is prepared med rare, which would be about 3-4 minutes on each side, but if you prefer it cooked more, you can always keep it on for an additional minute or two on each side.

This dish is so simple, but there's something so rich about parsnips, that when you combine the flavor of the lamb with the richness of the parsnip puree, and then the nice simple steamed broccoli with a kick of heat from the red pepper flakes, it make you feel like you're eating at a fine dining restaurant.  Not to mention, the little baby porterhouse lambs are just too cute for words!


No comments:

Post a Comment