Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Natural Protein Pancake with Peanut Butter and "Banana Jelly"

OMG have I been a busy bee!  I'm looking through my pictures to see what I want to blog about next, and I realize that I have about a dozen recipes that need some blog love.  Summer always seems to distract me from my side projects and manages to keep me focused on my healthy tan (which is going very well in case you're interested).  With that in mind, and bikini season in full effect, I'm always looking for fresh breakfast ideas that aren't my usual egg white omelette, or my oatmeal with fresh fruit, but which also aren't going to require me to stand over the stove for 30 minutes.  I came across this recipe in Oxygen Magazine's latest issue, and decided to jazz it up a bit with some banana on top since peanut butter and banana are the bestest of friends.

This recipe really interested me primarily because I have now completely given up protein powder, and since doing so, have not had the opportunity to have my morning breakfast protein pancakes.  With this recipe, I get the protein from the egg whites, cottage cheese, and peanut butter, without all the unnatural ingredients of a man made protein powder.  I can honestly say that I was hesitant at first, but after my first bite I was sold, not only on flavor, but the fluffiness compared to the density of the regular protein pancake.  Give it a shot, and you may give up your protein powder all together!

Ingredients:

1/2 C. Rolled oats
3 large Egg whites
1/3 C. Fat-free cottage cheese
1/2 tbsp.  All natural smooth peanut butter
1/2 Medium banana
1 tsp. Stevia
2 tsp. Cinnamon, divided
1 tsp. Water



In a blender (I use a hand-held, individual size because it's easier to blend and clean), place oats, egg whites, cottage cheese, peanut butter and 1 tsp. of cinnamon.  Blend until smooth (you may need to scrape down the sides to get all the oatmeal mixed in).

Pour the batter into a pan heated on medium and cook until brown on both sides (about 3-4 minutes on each side).

While the pancake is cooking, in a small bowl slice the banana, and add the Stevia, 1 tsp. of cinnamon and the water.  Mash everything together until you get a nice jelly consistency.  

Remove the pancake from the pan, and top with the banana jelly.  I promise, you will not be disappointed, and if you're a morning sweets person like myself, this will fulfill your sweet pancake cravings, and your morning protein requirements! 

No comments:

Post a Comment