Sunday, May 6, 2012

Baked Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal

In reading Superfoods Rx, I had been trying to figure out exactly where I was going to fit pumpkin into my regular diet.  I am well aware that pumpkin pie is definitely not a superfood, and clearly could not be used in my diet (or so I thought until I moved onto the Pumpkin Custard I made shortly after), and so I wanted to figure out where I could fit it into my breakfast.  This was a great recipe to find from one of my favorite online sources, Oxygen Magazine, and their Baked Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal.

Ingredients:

1/2 c. Old-fashioned oats
1 c. Water
1/4 c. pumpkin puree
2 tbsp Nonfat cottage cheese
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
Dash of Sea Salt
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/8 tsp. Allspice


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, combine all the ingredients in an oven-proof bowl, mix thoroughly, and bake for 30 minutes.

The original recipe on the website is for one serving of oatmeal, and for my household it made no sense to make one serving of a food that contained this many ingredients, so I decided to quadruple the recipe so that I had four servings to last us a couple of days.  Whenever you change a recipe like this when baking, it obviously changes the texture and cook time.  So, instead of cooking the dish for 30 minutes, I cooked it for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, until the oatmeal was bubbling and set.  

Both my husband and I loved this recipe, and it was so great to reheat with a little bit of milk in the morning. The one things that I would have done differently would be to cook it in a rectangular baking pan so that the cooking time decreased, and the middle set a little more than it did in the loaf pan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment