Friday, May 25, 2012

Buckwheat Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Compote and Vanilla Yogurt-Cream Cheese Topping

A mouthful of a title?  Yes.  A mouthful of blueberries?  Most definitely.  I actually just made these this morning, and despite the fact that I have about five other recipes that I need to post about before this, I really shouldn't be jumping the gun to share this one, but it was so good I couldn't resist.  I also didn't want to forget how I made it before I could get to writing about it.  

My husband and I religiously watch Bobby Flay's Throwdown on Food Network, and recently saw an episode on blueberry pancakes, at which point my husband exclaimed, "You haven't made pancakes in a long time.  You should make blueberry pancakes."  The reality was, I hadn't picked up pancake mix in ages, and the last time I had made pancakes, I had done it by scratch.  Well, his suggestion was I all I needed to get me to pick up the Anson Mills Buckwheat Pancake mix, and start brainstorming my next creation.  

Sometimes I make something so delicious, it's like I can't even believe that it has happened.  This was one of those moments.


Ingredients:
Anson Mills Pancake Mix (6-8 pancake serving)
1/2 c. Fresh blueberries
3 tsp. Cinnamon
3/4 c. Frozen blueberries
1/2 Lemon, juiced
1/2 Lemon, zested
1/8 c. Water
3 tbsp. Stevia
2 tbsp. Non-fat Greek yogurt
2 tbsp. Fat-free cream cheese, at room temp.
1 tsp. Vanilla extract

To make pancakes, prepare the batter to package instructions (for this you will need egg, milk, and oil, so don't think that you have all the ingredients here.  Make sure to check whatever pancake mixture you buy, and see what you need to execute the pancakes).  When the batter is prepared, fold in the fresh blueberries, and 1 tsp. of cinnamon.  Preheat your pan to medium, and pour batter onto sprayed pan, letting cook on one side until bubbles form in the batter, and then flip and cook for an additional 2 minutes on that side.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, put 1 tsp. cinnamon, frozen blueberries, lemon juice and zest, water and 2 tbsp. of Stevia, and bring to a slow boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer, and allow to cook down until thickened, stirring regularly to make sure the fruit doesn't burn, and the mixture cooks evenly.  This should take about 10-15 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tbsp. Stevia, 1 tsp. cinnamon, yogurt, cream cheese, and vanilla extract.

To build, place your pancakes on the plate, put a dollop of the yogurt-cream cheese mixture and then cover with the blueberry compote.  In order to keep everything fresh and tasting like it's just built, I would make your yogurt-cream cheese mixture ahead of time, and allow your compote to be cooking while you're getting your pancake batter ready, and cooking.

What I enjoy about the compote mixture, is you can refrigerate it if you have extra, and use it as a jam on toast, or to top other breakfast options.  You can also make your own fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts if you would prefer something fresher than what you pick up in your grocery store.  On top of that, I have left sugar-free maple syrup in the past, and this is such a great way to feel like you're getting your syrupy fix on, without all the fillers and unnatural flavorings.

Give the recipe a try, and you'll never go back to IHOP again for their blueberry pancakes with blueberry syrup.  This is 10 times fresher, better tasting, and probably has half the carbs and calories, and shhh...you're kids will never know it's a healthier version!

No comments:

Post a Comment