Saturday, May 26, 2012

Oatmeal Raisin and Banana Walnut Cookies

I'm always looking for new sweets, with better nutrition, and I was super excited when I came across this recipe while getting my toes 'did' at the nail salon.  I usually detest 'Fitness Magazine' because it's the most repetitive, and sometimes obvious information you could possibly get about nutrition and exercise, but this time, it actually came through.  So, I snapped a quick pic of the recipe with my camera phone, (always think about this when you're out somewhere and want to try a recipe later; who writes stuff down with a pen and paper now a days anyway?), and a couple days later, put the recipe to test.

The original recipe stated that a serving size was four, two-cookie servings, totaling eight cookies.  I decided to make them smaller so they were more of a dessert treat, as opposed to a breakfast cookie, which is what the magazine was shooting toward.  You can do whichever you would like, and it might be a great idea for those of you who are running out of the house in the morning, to try the two cookie servings to get your oatmeal in on the go.


Ingredients:
1 c. Oats, ground
1/2 c. Oats, whole
1 Egg, beaten
3/4 c. Low-fat milk
1 Banana, mashed
1/2 c. Golden raisins
2 tbsp. Flaxseed, ground
2 tbsp. Walnuts, chopped
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Honey
1/8 tsp. Salt
1 tbsp. Stevia



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Pulse 1 c. of oats in food processor until they resemble a course powder.  Combine ground oats with the remainder of the ingredients.  Scoop batter onto a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and bake 10-12 minutes for small cookies or 12-14 for large cookies.

This recipe is really easy, but I did find that the consistency was a little loose at first, so I added an additional amount of whole oats until it was a scooping consistency.  Use common sense; if it's too loose add more oats, if it's not, leave it alone.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for something to grab on my way out of the house in the morning. Will def have to try these :)

    ReplyDelete