Friday, May 25, 2012

Toasted Ciabatta Bread with Pea Pesto and Slice Tomato

You'll never guess where I got this recipe.  What?  Giada De Laurentiis?  Yup, shocking, I know.  For the most part, I kept the recipe the same, but I changed the type of bread I used, and I rubbed the bread with sliced garlic after it had been toasted.  What had drawn me to this recipe, was that I really enjoy pesto, but my husband hates pine nuts.  Because of this, I'm drawn to pesto sauces that don't involve pine nuts, but have a similar texture.  Also, this entire show, 'More for Less', had several recipes that I wanted to try, and this recipe, paired with the Lemon Chicken Soup (I will get to that blog soon), seemed delish!  And so, on the pea pesto journey I went.


Ingredients:
1/2 Loaf day old Multi-grain Ciabatta bread
1 10 oz. Frozen peas, thawed
2 Garlic cloves
1/2 c. Parmesan, grated
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1/2 c. Extra-virgin Olive oil
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced



To make the pesto pulse together the peas, 1 garlic clove, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.  With food processor running, slowly add in 1/3 c. of olive oil until well combined.

For toast, use day old bread prior to toasting so you get a really good crunch.  If you don't have day old, you can always toast it in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Slice the bread about 1/4 in. thick, and brush with olive oil.  Place the bread slices on a stove top grill or griddle and toast on each side for 2-3 minutes.  Immediately remove and take one garlic clove, cut in half, and rub the bread with the garlic, sliced side down.  You're basically making a quick garlic bread.

To build, lay the bread flat, top with the pea pesto, and cover with the sliced tomato.  You can add any additional salt and pepper to taste. 

I enjoy the recipe because it's something that you can serve with a soup, or as a passed appetizer at a party. It's so annoying when people offer starters that are near impossible to eat while standing up, or moving around.  For the love, I'm Italian, I talk with my hands, so I need something that can hold up to a little movement while I'm eating!  

No comments:

Post a Comment