Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Better Monte Cristo with Kale Chips 

Once upon a time, my relationship with kale went no further than a steakhouse restaurant, where it was beaten into our heads "NO KALE, NO SALE!"  In this atmosphere, kale was used as a garnish; a pretty green flower-looking plant that decorated the plate full of bacon, butter, and steak.  Well, imagine my shock and surprise when I learned that people actually ate kale!  

I'm the first to admit, that with many greens, I'm not such a huge fan, primarily because the not so popular ones: kale, Swiss chard, endive and such, were not introduced to us in our household, and therefore I had no idea that they even existed, never mind that they could be eaten as a side.  However, the fact is, these yummy greens have nothing but great vitamins and nutrients to offer us, and so, they have made their way into my household in many different varieties.

The Better Monte Cristo Sandwich was a no-brainer.  I like turkey or chicken, Dijon mustard, spinach, pear and low-fat Swiss cheese and I definitely like it more when it's been dipped in egg and milk and then pan-fried.  So, when I saw it in The Best of Clean Eating, I thought, "Yes, please!"


Again, I use Food For Life 7 Sprouted Grains Bread, place spinach on the bottom slice, place thinly sliced pear on top of the spinach, place thinly sliced turkey or chicken, top it with Swiss cheese, spread some Dijon mustard on the top slice, close that puppy on up and dip it in an egg white and milk mixture (I use WestSoy Unsweetened Milk) with some cayenne pepper.  Spray your pan with some non-stick spray, heat at medium, and cook on both sides. 

When it comes to the protein in the sandwich, I've done this with grilled meat because I buy the large packages of the already sliced chicken, and cook it all at once.  It's not necessary, but I will say that it adds a large amount of flavor.  Use whatever meat you want, but grilled meat = yummy meat!

So I guess the main problem with just the sandwich, is that who wants a delish sandwich with no chips?  And as much as I love baked pita chips, and all the other options there are out there for those similar products, they are not vegetables, and they are usually filled with a carb load that is unnecessary when you're already eating a sandwich.  And so, the research of the kale chip was born.

Important note.  When you wash your kale, do it hours before you plan on baking them.  If they are at all wet when you oil them, you will end up with a chip that is chewy and kind of gross.  When clean, pull out the inner rib and rip into bite size pieces. Once they are dry, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  In a LARGE bowl (and capitalize this because one bunch of kale is going to produce more chips than you think you can handle) mix together two tablespoons of Olive Oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Throw in your kale, toss it around to make sure all the leaves are coated, and lay them out in a single layer on a LARGE baking sheet.  Cook for about 15 minutes, but as you get nearer to the finish time, check on them, because they can go from really delicious chips to ashes in your mouth within a two minute span. You'll know they're about done when you see them browning around the edges.  And, the really great part is that you can use whatever seasoning you want.  Get creative and have fun.  

Isn't it great that your sandwich sidekick is also a Superfood sidekick?  I'd say so! 


No comments:

Post a Comment