Saturday, April 28, 2012

Italian Portobello Mushroom Sandwich

The Portobello made it's way into our lives through a grilling day when my husband and I were trying a Bobby Flay recipe of marinated pork tenderloin and some steak or another, and I made it as a side dish on top of some greens with some sort of dressing (we'll get back to this recipe at another time).  Anyway, my husband turned to me and said, "I can see how people can eat these as burgers.  They're so hearty and delicious."  What's that husband?  You'll eat them in sandwiches?  Ummm, done and done!


In making the Portobello Mushroom Sandwich delicious, one has to realize that the seasoning for the mushroom itself, when roasted, makes the vegetable worth eating and very savory.  I came across a recipe in Clean Food by Terry Walters (an unbelievable read if you're looking for great seasonal recipes), saw the ingredients, and couldn't resist.  

I take Oregano, Basil, and Parsley and chop it all up.  How much you need really depends on how many mushrooms you're preparing.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  I brush all of the dirt off of the mushroom and take out the stem.  I then rub olive oil on the tops, and place them top down in a baking dish.  On the bottoms place all of your herbs mixed together with some salt and pepper.  Roast them for 10 minutes (more or less depending on the size of the mushrooms).  I then take the Food For Life 7 Sprouted Grains Bread, spread either Dijon mustard, or hummus if I have it in the house, on the bread, and on the bottom slice place thinly sliced tomatoes, topped with the Portobello mushroom, topped with thinly sliced avocado and then topped with the other slice of bread.  

It's up there with one of the best sandwiches I have ever made.  You should try it out if you haven't used Portobello mushrooms as the "meat" in your sandwich before!   

No comments:

Post a Comment