Monday, April 30, 2012

Wheat Berry Waldorf Salad

I had been reading about Wheat Berries all over the place, and couldn't find them in my local grocery store, and was starting to get aggravated.  What where these so-called Wheat Berries, what did they look like, and where could I find them?  Well, while in another grocery store, with more health food options, I spotted them in a bag placed with other grains, and I did a mini-celebration dance in the middle of the isle.  Hooray!  

Now, what did I want to do with them?  The Wheat Berry (also know as Hard Red Winter Wheat) are the grains of wheat without the husk.  They can be used in both savory dishes, and to my delight, sweet dishes.  I found this recipe on the back of the Wheat Berry package and immediately had to give it a try.  I love Waldorf Salad, and everything in this recipe screamed Superfood, and I didn't have to modify it at all!



I took 1/2 c. of Nature's Earthly Choice Red Winter Wheat Whole Grain Wheat Berries and cooked them with 1 1/2 c. of water.  You'll want to cook them for about 15 minutes.  The grain should be soft, but still chewy.  You will want to drain them like you would a pasta.  In a large bowl, I combined 2 tbsp. of Dijon mustard, 1 tsp. of honey, 1 sweet apple, I stalk of cerlery, 2 tbsp. of raisins, 1/3 c. of FF Greek yogurt, 2 tbsp. of fresh squeezed lemon juice, and 1/2 c. of walnuts.  I then added the cooled Wheat Berries and mixed away.  

This has become one of my favorite cold salads, and is a great dish to bring to cookouts where so many people prepare potato salads, that I'm always trying to avoid, mostly because of the potatoes themselves, and the mayo that is always being added.  I promise that you won't feel like you're missing out on anything when you combine this dish with any grilled meat that you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment