Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Protein Pancake:  It's Limitless Awesomeness

Right now, I am walking a thin line in regards to nutrition, and where Protein powder fits in.  I know it's advantages, however, I also know that it's definitely not a whole food.  How do I know this?  The twenty-five ingredients that are listed on every single protein powder container, whether it's "natural" or not.  Some days though, I want a protein pancake.  I don't want to chug down a protein shake, haphazardly enjoying the semi-sweetness and it's mix with tasteless water.  I want the advantages of using a protein powder, with the texture of food.  For the love of food, I just want something to chew!!!  Anyway, that's where this, and several other protein pancake recipes came from.  I'm not sure where I initially got the first recipe, it may have been Oxygen Magazine, but I've modified several different times, to fit whatever food craving mood I'm in.  


For this particular recipe, I started with one scoop of vanilla protein powder, three egg whites, and a heaping tablespoon of Fat Free Greek Yogurt.  I whisk it all together until it forms a pancake batter texture.  I then pour it in a sprayed pre-heated 9 in. pan, cook one side, and then flip, and cook the other.  A little warning though, it will still be lose on top when you go to flip it, so be careful you don't fling batter all over your stove.  

For the topping I just took a quarter cup of frozen blueberries, two tablespoons of water, and a tablespoon of Stevia and heated thoroughly in a saucepan.  I mashed it all up to make a Blueberry Syrup, and then enjoyed with a dollop of FF Greek Yogurt on top.  

Modifying the Recipe

Sometimes I use chocolate protein powder, and put bananas in the batter, then cook the pancake.  I usually eat that recipe dry.  On a side note, I used to use Sugar Free Pancake Syrup, until I became super crazy about reading labels, and then decided, I'd rather eat it with nothing at all, or make my own fruit sauces.  You make whatever choice works best for you and your lifestyle!


Below is a Strawberry Shortcake version I've made with vanilla protein powder, a splash of vanilla extract and fresh diced strawberries thrown directly into the batter.


No comments:

Post a Comment