Sunday, April 29, 2012

Chicken Sausage Spinach Mushroom Grilled Pizza

A couple of years ago, when my husband and I tried to make the change into clean food, and a healthier lifestyle, he would constantly say that there were some things that he could just not let go of.  Greasy, gross, disgusting Greek pizza was one of those things he craved.  Where I'm an admitted sugar-whore, my husband is a greasy food lover.  It wasn't until I introduced this pizza into our dinner rotation,  that my husband openly stated that this pizza, was much better than any pizza you could get at a pizza shop, and this only two months after we had a full blown conversation about how there is no substitute for the nasty pizza you get at your local Main Street pizza pub.  Celebration!


The recipe itself was inspired by the Spinach and Chicken Sausage Pizza in The Best of Clean Eating, but took on a whole new life when we were watching a Grill It episode with Bobby Flay.  Grilling pizza dough?  Yup, that's what we're talking about here.  

I had tried making my own clean pizza dough at one point, which was very good, but found that my local grocer had a multi-grain pizza dough, already defrosted and ready to go, that was healthier, and easier, and so, I shaved some time of my prep and went in this direction.  

Grilling the pizza, again came out of necessity.  Our oven had given up on us, and in order to prep all our food for a couple days before we received our new one, I decided this was a food adventure I wanted to jump into.  I formed the dough, and brushed one side with a thin layer of Canola oil.  I placed that side down on a preheated grill grate and let it cook until browned.  In the meantime, I brushed the other side with Canola oil, and flipped when it was ready.  

I then topped the pizza with one can of organic diced tomatoes, drained, and over this put sauteed mushrooms onion and spinach.  I then placed on two sliced, grilled chicken sausages, and topped it all with part-skim mozzarella cheese that was grated.  Throw the lid back on your grill, and let everything get nice and warm and gooey, and you're good to go!

If you want to cook the pizza in your oven, you can always do that as well.  Just follow whatever instructions are on your pizza dough, and top your dough when raw, and then cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes.  Not quite as tasty and delicious, but still pretty freaking yummy!

I think what I love most about this recipe is the idea that you have all sorts of Superfoods on here.  Spinach, tomatoes, grains, chicken...who knew pizza could fall under the Superfood category???  Just don't go eating half the pizza in one sitting.  This would completely eliminate the meal as a healthy alternative.  

No comments:

Post a Comment